To avoid supporting the forced labor system of cotton production in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan as well as forced labor cotton entering their supply chains, the Cotton Campaign recommends that companies that use cotton:
- Publicly commit to avoid cotton from Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan while it is produced with state-orchestrated forced labor. For Uzbekistan, companies should sign the Cotton Pledge “to not knowingly source Uzbek cotton for the manufacturing of any of our products until the Government of Uzbekistan ends the practice of forced child and adult labor in its cotton sector”
- Establish a policy that prohibits the use of cotton from Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan and prohibits business with companies that use it, including explicitly all companies of Daewoo International, Indorama Corporation, and Youngone which operate in Uzbekistan and have refused to address their use of forced labor cotton
- Incorporate the policy into the company's agreements and orders with suppliers, sub-suppliers, vendors and other entities throughout the company's supply chains
- Require suppliers, sub-suppliers, vendors and other entities throughout the company's supply chains to implement the same policy prohibiting the use of cotton from Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan and business with companies that use it
- Cease business with companies that refuse to discontinue using cotton from Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan while it is produced with forced labor
- Verify compliance with the company policy on cotton from Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, and ensure purchasing practices support its implementation
- Publicly release documentation of these steps.